An insurance company is looking for a candidate who will be able to align their personal work values to those of the company and internal audit department. Enthusiastic in dealing with people in a stressful, deadline orientated environment is essential. The role is demanding, and deadline driven.
The purpose of the role is to conduct governance, technical financial (IFRS based), business and operational process audits of the company. Assess and evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of application and operational controls, procedures and processes and provide value - added recommendations to management.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Lead and participate in audit reviews, delivering audit outputs including final reports within agreed timescales and in accordance with Internal Audit Standards.
- Conducting a preliminary survey of the area and processes under review, obtaining detailed knowledge of the processes, in order to establish the scope of the audit. Key outputs of the planning phase include:
- Process summary and flowchart;
- Risk assessment: Business risks and controls relevant to the process are determined and control weaknesses are identified, and recommendations for control improvement are made through a formal report
- An audit program is developed to test the adequacy and effectiveness of the control environment.
- Performing of the audit fieldwork in terms of the audit program.
- The drafting of the audit report, including the executive summary and detailed audit findings highlighting the relevant control weaknesses, risks and recommendations, including management’s comments on the findings.
- Liaise effectively with the audit portfolio managers to ensure that changes in scope or reporting timetable are agreed and that quality review work is performed at appropriate times in the audit.
- Liaise effectively with clients at departmental level to ensure efficient completion of individual reviews.
- Carry out debriefs with department managers to communicate the results of the internal audit reviews and ensuring that the scale and scope of the deliverables resulting from audit recommendations are adequately understood.
- Populate working papers with good quality planning, fieldwork and reporting material on a timely basis.
- Participate in internal departmental work and key standing tasks such as Board and Audit Committee reporting, as requested.
- Evaluating and monitoring of corrective actions taken to address control weaknesses identified.
- Bachelor of Commerce Honours in Internal Auditing or similar;
- Newly Qualified Chartered Accountant (CA) or Chartered Management Accountant (CIMA)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) would be advantageous
- 3 years’ experience within the audit field
- Auditing in the insurance environment will be advantageous.
Competencies and Skills:
- Solid knowledge of IFRS and cost accounting principles
- The ability to take responsibility and show initiative
- Adherence to principles and values
- Excellent communication (written & verbal) and interpersonal skills
- The ability to apply professional / specialist / technical expertise
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Quality and detail orientation
- Excellent Report Writing Skills
- Enthusiastic and passionate about the job and the company
- Effective at planning and organisation/Work management