An education business of a network of affordable private schools implementing Africa’s first blended learning model for primary school students in South Africa is looking for a head of property. The business provides transformational education innovation through their blended learning model, which elevates student achievement and provides the tools teachers need to serve their students effectively.
The Head of Property is actively involved in all Group functions that directly impact physical property including planning, negotiating, sourcing and successful delivery of properties. Tactical and operational execution of the property strategy is key to the purpose of this position, however this position will also be required to develop strategy and provide inputs to property strategy that supports the organisational strategy. The company has entered into a strategic partnership with a property financing and development group and the head of Property is primarily responsible for that relationship and the interaction with it. Most of the functions for which the position is responsible are outsourced.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position requires a person with experience in property acquisition and development. Experience relevant to developing schools or other community properties would be helpful. The position can be understood in two distinct themes or responsibility areas:
- A market oriented skillset is required, including property acquisition property finance, negotiation, "deal making", design and strategy.
- A development role, including physical property development, financial and budget controls as well as adhering to regulatory compliance responsibilities.
- Manage and take accountability for the companies network property interests taking into account regulatory framework, property and contractual laws.
- Build and maintain high-level relationships in the property sector.
- Developing long-term property strategy plans, including regional and national expansion strategy.
- Accountable for developing managing annual budgets related to property finance and funding.
- Manage the property acquisitions process to meet the Companies expansion targets.
- Oversee the design, planning and execution phases of all the companies properties.
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, designers and partners to innovate around school design and location, promoting effective use of space.
- Consult on and oversee the general upkeep and maintenance, and potential improvement of properties, and effective management of costs and contracts related thereto.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
The successful candidate will fit most of the following criteria:
- At least 5 years experience in property development including but not limited to managing a property fund or portfolio including managing property leases, contracts and contractors.
- At least 5 years experience in managing construction projects, property design, town planning and liaising with engineers and architects.
- At least 5 years experience at managing a diverse team of associates and contractors.
- A graduate (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines:
o Accounting and Finance
o Relevant Law
o Building Science or Civil Engineering
Skills and Mindset:
- Commercially astute, articulate, technically strong, dynamic, insightful and influential leader with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels
- Exceptional communication skills at all levels
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision-making
- High integrity combined with commitment to good governance
- Energetic, highly motivated, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.