The Commerce/Finance Manager (FM) is the second in command of THE COMPANY’s Tanzania business unit and drives achievement of the business plan, finance strategy, financial reporting, dealing with stakeholders, reporting to the board of directors, debt collection and ensuring rigorous cost control, budget management, clean audits, competitive procurement, contracts and ethics and integrity.
The FM should be someone who would also extend themselves becoming a true strategic partner to the CEO and taking an active role in all commercial issues across the business, playing a critical role in senior management of the business and at Country Exco and being able to deputise for the CEO.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensuring high levels of integrity and clarity in all financial tools in the business.
- Ensure meaningful and consistent financial statements and monthly reporting.
- Satisfy the requirements of the Group Audit Committee members with regards to the subsidiaries’ control systems and financial reporting.
- Develop and implement a robust internal financial control framework which will deliver appropriate and accurate reports to support the analysis of management information.
- Accountable for the entire budgeting process
2. DELIVERY AND EFFICIENCY
The FM is responsible for the design and delivery of a comprehensive financial strategy to support THE COMPANY’s operations and meet statutory and audit requirements.
- Accountable for board (and related) report preparation and submission
- Contribute towards the Group Financial Strategy
- Effectively manage the day-to-day working capital of the company
- Manage relationships with local financial institutions
- Accountable for the tender management process - document submission, project management reporting, commercials, etc
- Develop and implement a robust financial control framework which provides monthly reports within 5 business days of month end
- Implement an integrated financial system which accommodates operational requirements
- Production of accurate, compliant, relevant and transparent financial information for both internal and external purposes. (Annual & Interim reports, quarterly management accounts, management statements and covenant compliance).
- Manage annual external audit process.
- Facilitate the budgeting process from inception up to Board approval.
- Manage an efficient company secretarial process for the Tanzanian entity
- Provide accounting and reporting services appropriate to the needs of all stakeholders, including the business units to enable effective decision making. This includes developing tools to collate, monitor and analyse productivity/ efficiency & profitability and other aspects of the business at a granular level.
3. RISK MANAGEMENT
Providing a framework in which to identify and mitigate risks through appropriate strategies, policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement effective risk management & mitigation policies & procedures (Including insurances & risk register)
- Tax compliance and tax efficiency
- Ensure compliance with all statutory and IFRS requirements. This will entail monitoring developments in accounting standards and other regulations impacting financial reporting, assessing implications for the subsidiaries. It will be expected from the FM to support the business with technical accounting issues and ensuring that the subsidiary accounting policies are up to date, compliant and correctly applied across as required by the Group CFO.
- Drive the development of effective risk management and mitigation policies & procedures for the subsidiary, including insurance matters
- Actively manage the risk register for review and analyse notifiable occurrences to establish trends.
4. PEOPLE, PERFORMANCE & PARTNERSHIPS
Managing, motivating and retaining the finance team and ensuring external stakeholders are positive and maintained.
- Work closely with the Tanzania CEO
- Build and maintain a high-performance finance team
- Build capacity in the Finance Team through effective recruitment, coaching, mentoring, leadership and training.
- Performance management of the finance team
- Establish and maintain banking, shareholder and investor relationships
5. MARKET PENETRATION AND INNOVATION
Ensuring that funding and cash flow requirements of the business are met and support all expansion activities.
- Advise the CEO and Board on appropriate course of action to meet budgets and financing requirements
- Dynamically lead financing strategy and all financial relationships
- Ensure debt receivables are maintained within Group standards.
Provision of a robust framework for the management of cost across the subsidiary and ensure that budgets are managed adequately.
- Create a discipline of budgetary control and cost efficiency in line with business plans through effective procedures and policies
- Coach line managers and business heads on remedial actions and financial decision making
- Manage expenses and travel policies and ensure cost efficiency
Preferably a Qualified Chartered Accountant with maintained accreditation.
At least 2-5 years proven experience in a senior leadership role of a similar nature as a Finance Manager