Blue Recruiting’s client is a Fast Moving Consumer Goods ("FMCG") Group with a vision to become one of the leading branded consumer product businesses in Africa and selected international markets by 2022. The company supports, develops and enriches local communities through value enhancing operations and trusted brands.
The Group is focused on driving organic growth within its core branded portfolio, expansion into new categories and expediting an acquisitive growth strategy in select categories and geographies. Through its investment in subsidiaries and joint ventures, the Group currently operates across 11 African markets; as well as the United Kingdom and selected European markets.
Success is driven by a team of motivated and results orientated people who subscribe to a culture of high performance, integrity and a non-compromising work ethic. They strive for continuous self-improvement and reinvention but realise that this growth ambition cannot be achieved without the right people. This desire drives them to focus on retaining, developing and attracting the best talent who are as passionate and committed to building their business.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (who is based at the Corporate Office in Sandton, South Africa) the Financial Manager - Operations will play an active and key role within the finance function of the Group. Arising from the stated growth and strategic objectives of the Group, the role is a unique opportunity to be an integral part of an ambitious team building a proudly African, world-class FMCG group.
The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that all subsidiaries and joint ventures are operating within the appropriate risk management frameworks and adhering to the highest levels of internal control policies and procedures. The Finance Manager - Operations will work hand in hand with local finance managers across 11 existing markets and new markets to deliver on the following key responsibilities:
- Design and implementation of best practice internal control policies, procedures and systems across the Group
- Creation and roll-out of Standard Operating Policies to support all aspects of business operations
- Be the link between Commercial and Finance Operations to ensure efficiencies and optimisation of business processes e.g. product costings, production planning, sales target planning etc.
- Execution of the internal audit timetable, including performance of testing procedures and reporting on outcomes of random sampling testing, attendance of stock counts, verification of bank reconciliations, review of cash management policies, payroll audits, fixed asset register review etc.
- Ad-hoc investigation and resolution of accounting / business concerns as required e.g. reconciliation of suspense accounts, investigation of any suspected internal control variations etc.
- Work closely with the Financial Manager - Reporting to ensure that all Group Accounting Policies are consistently applied and accounting records are complete and accurate
- Work alongside the IT and ERP system implementation teams to ensure proposed systems continue to meet the operational, functional and reporting needs of the Group
- Successful resolution of all external and internal audit points raised
- Managing the establishment of new entities in expansion markets, including legal entity registration, tax registrations, trade licenses, opening of bank account, setup of internal controls etc.
The successful candidate must demonstrate:
- The ability to solve complex business and accounting problems to conclusion and monitor solutions / recommendations to ensure continued compliance
- Be a practical, hands-on operator with the ability to operate independently across Sub- Saharan Africa and other International markets with minimal day to day oversight
- Ability to successfully prioritise, manage and deliver on multiple projects at any one time
- Extensive experience of implementing best practice internal control policies and procedures; as well as early identification and communication of internal control weaknesses
In order to successfully execute on the role responsibilities, extensive travel into Sub-Saharan Africa and various international markets will be required.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor's and Post-Graduate/Honours degree in Accounting/Finance required; preference will be given to a qualified CA(SA)
- Minimum of 3-4 years’ experience (post articles) in operational finance, including auditing, financial consulting, internal control and / or financial analysis
- Experience in a branded food & beverage industry would be a plus
- Sub-Saharan Africa experience and prior travel into the region preferred
- Requisite accounting and IFRS knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (emphasis on Excel, Word & PowerPoint)
- Strong initiative and ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to complete projects timely (deadline driven) and accurately is critical
- Excellent Communication skills
- Must be detail oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to work well with others (teamwork) in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- The role requires a hands-on and independent-minded individual
- Consummate professional with the highest integrity and ethical standards
- Accept responsibility for resolving a problem to its final conclusion
- Assist in the achievement and the on-going improvement of business results
- Show dissatisfaction with poor performance and drive processes to achieve business goals
- Strive to achieve agreed deadlines and standards, especially when the going gets tough or the anticipated situation changes
- Prepare proposals for Executive evaluation in line with broader business strategies
- Apply a systematic problem-solving approach to identify causes, explore alternatives and recommend the best course of action to resolve the problem now and into the future
- Remain up to date in your area of specialty or expertise
- Apply a body of knowledge and experience to current business situations in order to add value and improve business efficiencies and profitability
- Apply technical or specialist expertise and experience for the benefit of the organisation and consider the context in which these are applied
- Ensure that your functional expertise supports that of other experts, rather than being in competition with them (e.g. colleagues)
- Persuade or negotiate with others by relying on technical or specialist knowledge and experience;
- Present documented material or proposals in a credible and professional manner
- Share the technical implications of a situation with non-specialists, or explain it to them
The ideal candidate must be able to:
- Speak English clearly and confidently i.e. must be articulate
- Listen actively to fully understand the other person’s view or perspective
- Tailor feedback to the specific needs and communication styles of others
- Prepare effective presentations and where required, concisely present/communicate a complete and accurate picture of the current situation or of the company’s products and services
- Develop and maintain two-way communication with a variety of people at different levels both within and outside the organisation
- Suggest proposals to address vital concerns and important business issues; and
- Build a network of relevant role-players both within and outside the organsation