My client is an international non-governmental organization which seeks to address environmental conservation issues in Africa.
They are looking for a French speaking qualified CA, who has a great sense of adventure and a keen interest in health of the world, nature and its conservation. You will be based in the Central African Republic where you spend 30% of your time at the conservation and 70% of time in Bangui.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- To direct and control the administration of all financial, treasury and accounting activities in accordance with APN policy and in compliance with fiscal, legal and statutory requirements of the host country
- To co-ordinate and provide the required financial information and requirements for the park
- To ensure that all donor regulations are adhered by: e.g. restricted funds, fund reporting requirements, specific procurement requirements etc.
- Is responsible for reporting on grants- financial and narrative
- To ensure that the accounting system is in place to record transactions in accordance with accepted accounting principles and APN policy such that it provides the basis for an efficient Financial management and information system
1. Accounting and Reporting
- Supervise the recording, classifying and summarizing of the financial transactions of the park and ensuring the proper update and maintenance of the accounts to ensure that the accounting system provides
the basis for an efficient financial information system for both internal and external users and that it is compliant with internationally accepted accounting principles, legal and statutory requirements of the country
- Review all accounting related transactions (payment vouchers, receipt vouchers, debit and credit notes, staff time invoices, correcting journal entries) prior to entry into the accounting system.
- Ensure that all balance sheet accounts are reconciled
- Review and provide guidance and coaching to accounting staff ensuring accuracy, correctness and completeness of transactions recorded
- Ensure the timeliness of required financial reports to project managers, donors, government partners and Board Members
- Prepare periodic reports of financial performance and discuss with head of departments
2. Treasury and Cash Management
- Is responsible for the treasury planning of the whole project
- Review and ensure that disbursements are properly supported with relevant evidential documentation
- Cash and bank balances are reconciled with the records maintained. Reconciliations are reviewed and signed by the park manager
3. Planning, Budgeting and Forecasting Reporting
- Assist in the planning and budgeting for the project, taking the lead in the financial plans and budgets and ensuring that the assumptions, parameters, guidelines and policies in planning are complied with.
- Review and monitors budget performance of the project and provide recommendations
- Provide cost data of the various resource inputs to project personnel to prepare and update Budget
- Assist the general manager and other park staff by providing guidance on compliance with donors guidelines and the
provisions of donor agreements
4. Internal Control Environment
- Continuously review the adequacy of internal control to ensure the provision of accurate and timely financial information, protection of assets and adherence to policies, systems and procedures and the
smooth and orderly implementation of plans and activities.
5. Fixed Asset Management
- Ensure the identification and proper inventory of fixed assets of the project through the conduct of an annual inventory to determine their location and condition of proper disposition.
- Determine accuracy of depreciation in accordance with APN’s policy and that the assets are adequately protected
- Prepare the request for approval to dispose of missing, lost, stolen, damaged and obsolete equipments
- Ensure that the systems and procedures are in place to enable accurate preparation and disbursement of the payroll in compliance with statutory requirements
- Sign off on the monthly payroll by reviewing and checking the accuracy of amounts to be paid to the staff
7. Due Diligence and Audit
- Co-ordinates with the auditors .This includes preparation of the reporting pack and necessary notes to the accounts.
- Provide draft responses to the audit management letter, including coordinating inputs from the programme, human resources, administration and other units as necessary
- Ensure the closure and resolution of audit findings
8. Board and governance
- Provide financial information to the Board for all Board meetings
- Provide leadership and guidance in all matters pertaining to finance (including taxation and other financial issues) and give advice and support to all those needing it
- Provide training to project staff on APN financial policies and procedures, budgeting methods and compliance with donor guidelines
- Where required, assist with writing and maintaining the local procurement policy and be a member of the procurement committee.
10. Carry out any other relevant tasks that may be assigned by the Park Manager from time to time.
- Must be a qualified CA with at least 4 years post articles experience
- The person needs to have experience in working in remote areas and willing to travel to the park.
- Must be someone who is very adaptable
- Must be fluent in French.